Today's continent box -- Australia!
Most of my stuff for Australia came from a private swap that I did with The Homeschool Den, before she moved back to the US.
Here's what she sent us...
- Australian flag
- 3 plastic toys --snake, bilby, and quoll
- aboriginal art keychain
- stickers and brochures
- these AWESOME wildlife books by an Australian photographer Steve Parish. (I almost asked her to mail me some more of these because they are SO awesome! Too bad the shipping is outrageous, and you can only buy them through his website.)- postcards
- wildlife identification book
- beach ball with Australian flag on it (sorry, it didn't photograph well....)
From my own stash, here's what I've collected for Australia:
- books on Australia -- purchased from Goodwill and Target
- landmark flash cards (Target), photos of animals (Nashville Zoo and Dollar Tree)
Honey at Mondorfment hosted a continent swap, and this is what the 2 people who did Australia sent me:
- cut-out of Australia and stickers that can be used to label the different regions (the stickers also have footprints of some animals, which will be made into a different activity)
- book about Australian animals
- aboriginal doll and sash/belt
- information about bullroarers and a homemade bullroarer for the kids to try to spin in the air.
I MUST say that the coolest thing in this package was the homemade bottle of Vegemite, which I thought was real. Aikman thought it was "playdoh from Australia." Either way, it was a very inventive way of creating something from Australia!
- 3 part cards for Australian animals, landmarks, etc.
- the book Diary of a Wombat
- sample of Vegemite
- list of Australian games to play
- 3 animals
- postcard of Canberra (capital of Australia... which I assumed was Sydney!)
Next stop... Antarctica! See ya tomorrow!