In my last post, I mentioned that we are using a calendar notebook with our youtube calendar/circle time. Today, I wanted to share with you exactly what is in our calendar notebook… and where we’ll be heading with it in the future.
Aikman has a white notebook that currently has 3 pages that he completes. We will be adding additional pages as the year progresses, but I am adding them in slowly.
Here’s what’s in the notebook:
- tracing calendar page (after we add in tally marks, we will be using this blank page instead, or a separate tally marks page could be added)
- hundred number board
- weather graph
Each of these pages is matched up with a songs in the youtube “calendar time” playlist. So, after he sings the “Months of the Year” song, he will pause it, and state what the month is (eventually, he will write the month – the write the date page mentioned below.) Likewise, after the “Days of the Week” song, he pauses the playlist and states what today is, and then fills in the day on his calendar. At this same time, he also writes in the next number on the hundred number board, and he counts up to this number. The last page that is currently being used is the weather graph, which he completes after the weather song.
Other pages that will eventually be added in:
- make the date with money – I can’t decide if we will use real money or this printout
- temperature chart (page A-4) – I plan on having him determine the temperature outside, and then mark it on a chart.
- birthdays list – rather than a tally mark, we will record the name of friends’ and family members during the month of their birthday.
- lost tooth tally -- We will be keeping a tally of friends (and Aikman!) as they loose teeth.
- write the date – I don’t have a form for this yet, but it will be a piece of paper with 5 sections… one for each weekday. Initially, we will just write the day of the week, but will eventually will move up to writing the full date (I’m sure that will be a totally different form).